GruntyGunner
ViP Blackhat

When you first submit an app, make it boring.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:55 pm

I've learned from my experience that getting the app in the store is a bigger hurdle than pushing an update. If you get rejections for your app, it will be manually reviewed the next time you submit. The goal is to first get the app into Google Play. Note that the Google Bot works the same for brand new apps and updates. The boring landing page is for the human, not the bot. This raises the chances of Google accepting your appeal should it be rejected. Once published, you can push further by designing the landing page you really want, and submitting an update.

With my Halo app, the Google bot flagged me for including "Microsoft" in the description. Had it not flagged, the app would've been on the store like before, but stuff happens. I submitted a successful appeal, but then the app was rejected for intellectual property violation. The store graphics included too many copyrighted images and stood out like a sore thumb, causing a rejection for my app. From my first Google account, I know that I didn't do much different in the screenshots. They had the same copyrighted images and logos. I think it's fine, and I'm just bending the rules like so many other developers. But where I see bending, Google sees breaking. My app got snagged on the Google bot for a banned word, and when a human looked at it manually, it was rejected for another reason! If you are bending the rules and using copyrighted images (for your game guides and whatnot) add those in an update.
Last edited by GruntyGunner on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeadMonkey
ViP Blackhat

Re: When you first submit an app, make it boring.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 am

but apps are sometimes reviewed in the update too. Someone I know updated his old movies app, and it was suspended for copyright infringement, because the update made some moderator check the app manually. There's a chance that this app had already a lot of "pirate app reports" and "spam app reports" in the queue, and this triggered moderator action. Just a guess..

GruntyGunner
ViP Blackhat

Re: When you first submit an app, make it boring.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Right, there is still a chance that the update will raise a flag. The google bot treats updates and new submissions the same. Making the landing page boring the first time increases your chances of having your app accepted. Think of it as compartmentalizing possible rejections.

Return to “Google Problems”